Monday, November 13, 2017

Authors To Watch: Urban Romance Author Harlyn Bryan @RaeOrSun





Harlyn Bryan (1985-) was born and raised in Racine, Wisconsin. At an early age Bryan expressed an interest in the arts, specifically writing, sketching and painting. Throughout her pre to late teens Bryan penned numerous poems, song lyrics, and short stories. In 2007 she self-published the novel Wounded to much local success. Her second novel, Wildfire, was released in May of 2017 with the second edition of Wounded following in November 2017. Bryan currently resides in the southern US with her husband and their three children.

WEBSITE & SOCIAL LINKS:

WEBSITE | TWITTER | FACEBOOK





Sometimes there is a sense of comfort in chaos that peace cannot provide. After a tragic murder on the streets of her old neighborhood Sierra Vincent left town vowing to never return to the place of her nightmares. It is by chance that she meets and falls for big time hustler Nick Maguire and from that point forward she finds herself once again entangled in the web of a war that she did not create. Follow her path back to a place she never wished to go and to a person that she believed she had left behind.

ORDER YOUR COPY:

Amazon






We welcome you to My Bookish Pleasures! Can you tell us how you got started writing fiction?

Per my grandmother and mother, I’ve been writing since I was a toddler when someone put a pencil in my hand and my scribbling looked like tiny words. I’ve always done poetry, lyrics, short stories, etc. The first time I shared it with the public, however, was on fanfiction.com at the advisement of a friend. I may or may not have had a huge fiction site of my own many moons ago as I progressed with my writing and readers. 

Describe your writing process. Do you plot or write by the seat of your pants? When and where do you write?

I’m not an outliner. That actually works against me as I’ve tried it multiple times. I’m one of those writers that comes up with an idea, I start writing, and allow the story that needs to be told to flow through me. It feels very organic. 

I’m a desktop kind of girl. Occasionally I’ll do the laptop thing but whenever possible I like to sit at my desk and zone out. It’s harder nowadays with a busy family!

Can you tell us about your most recent release?

Wounded is a darker romance. It’s got an urban edge to it with a few unlikeable characters throughout. It really brings into question trust and who should have it in your life and do people really deserve second chances.

How did you get the idea for the book?

I have always been a writer of romantic dramas. I wanted to do something different and edgy and what I got was Wounded.

Of all your characters, which one is your favorite? Why?

I would have to go with Camille Henderson in my novel Wildfire. I wanted to be an entertainer and she’s everything I thought that I would be if I became a pop star. She’s flawed like we all are but not in an unlikeable kind of way. I love her progression from a naïve child to a woman that, though broken, does not fall.

What was the most challenging aspect of writing your book?

Keeping it true to the theme that I was trying to convey and not falling back into my typical romance writing just to make the characters likeable. I had to stay on track and ensure they were authentic to who I had set them up to be.

What projects are you currently working on?

An erotic thriller titled Adenium and a socially conscious coming of age novel I’ve titled Minor Offenses.

What advice would you offer to new or aspiring fiction authors?

Write as much as you can and don’t be afraid to let others read it and critique it. One of the best things for me was having instant responses from readers chapter by chapter. They would give me feedback on what was working and what was not which allowed me to hone my craft.



No comments:

Post a Comment