Sunday, September 17, 2023

đŸ“–Authors To Watch: David Myles Robinson, Author of TROPICAL SCANDAL #authorstowatch #interview

 

 



David Myles Robinson has always had a passion for for writing. During the late 1960’s and early 1970’s, while in college, Robinson worked as a freelance writer for several magazines and was a staff writer for a weekly minority newspaper in Pasadena, California. Upon graduating from San Francisco State University, he attended the University of San Francisco School of Law. It was there that he met his wife, Marcia Waldorf. In 1975 the two moved to Honolulu, Hawaii and began practicing law. Robinson became a trial lawyer and Waldorf eventually became a Circuit Court judge.   

Upon retiring in 2010, Robinson completed his first novel, Unplayable Lie. He has since published eight more novels. 

Website: www.davidmylesrobinson.com    

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/DMRobinsonWrite   

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DavidMylesRobinson  

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/davidmylesrobinson

 

 


Welcome to My Bookish Pleasures! Can you tell us how you got started writing fiction?

I wrote my first short story in seventh grade and have been hooked on writing since. During my college years I wrote a lot of short stories and portions of novels, but when I became a trial attorney my fiction writing was put on hold for thirty-eight years until I was about to retire, which is when I wrote and then published my first novel (Unplayable Lie, a golf-related suspense novel).

Describe your writing process. Do you plot or write by the seat of your pants? When and where do you write?

I begin with a vague idea and then begin writing. So, seat of the pants would most describe it. Writing suspense and mystery novels, it is not unusual for me to write myself into a corner and be forced to retreat. I write in my home office and when I am immersed in a particular project, I can write most of the day. I love it. But I am not so disciplined that I force myself to write when I’m not working on something specific.

Can you tell us about your most recent release, Tropical Scandal?

Pancho McMartin, the protagonist in all of my Tropical series legal thrillers, is the leading criminal defense attorney in Honolulu. When he is asked by an aging and alcoholic trial attorney of whom Pancho had always admired to take on a murder case, Pancho, and his best friend and private investigator, Drew Tulafono, begin to uncover a bizarre and unbelievable scenario that is bound to be the biggest scandal ever to hit Hawaii’s judiciary.

How did you get the idea for the book?

Like all of my Pancho McMartin legal thrillers, of which Tropical Scandal is the fifth, it was inspired (as opposed to based upon) by true events in Hawaii. In the case of Tropical Scandal, the inspiration was a truly bizarre series of events which shook the judicial and law enforcement world in Honolulu

Of all your characters, which one is your favorite? Why?

Pancho McMartin, the protagonist, is my favorite character. He is smart and witty and loves the challenge of trial. Since my retirement from the law in Hawaii, I moved to Taos, New Mexico and so when I began writing the Pancho McMartin series I had him having been born in Taos to a pair of original hippies who lived on a commune. His parents claimed that they named him Pancho so that he would fit in better in the mostly Hispanic schools. Pancho, however, believes that his parents dropped acid to celebrate his birth and named him while stoned.

What was the most challenging aspect of writing your book?

In any suspense or mystery novel, the most challenging thing is to build the suspense and maintain the mystery for as long as possible. In legal thrillers, at some point during or before trial, the mystery usually becomes clear, so at that point the challenge is to maintain the readers’ interest by showing how Pancho will win the case and clear his client.

What projects are you currently working on?

I am contemplating turning one of my prior stand-alone novels, Son of Saigon, into a screenplay.

What advice would you offer to new or aspiring fiction authors? Just write and keep on writing. Very, very few novelists get rich, or even make a living, writing novels, so if you’re not writing for the love of writing there’s not much point to it.

 

 

Title: Tropical Scandal
Author: David Myles Robinson
Publisher: Bluewater Press, LLC
Pages: 291
Genre: Legal Thriller/Suspense/Mystery

When Pancho McMartin, Honolulu’s top criminal defense attorney, takes on the case of Dayton Kalama, a young drug dealer accused of murdering his grandmother (tutu), Pancho is faced with a daunting amount of evidence pointing squarely at Dayton. But as Pancho, together with his private investigator, Drew Tulafono, gradually pull back the layers of deceit, they begin to uncover hints at what is beginning to look like the biggest scandal ever to hit Hawaii’s legal community. This book is pure fiction, but is inspired by true, scandalous events which shook Honolulu’s legal community to its core. 

Amazon: https://tinyurl.com/3p8vwcvf



No comments:

Post a Comment