Monday, September 4, 2023

đŸ“–Authors To Watch: Avery Sterling, Author of PRECIOUS BURDENS #authorstowatch #interview

 

 



Avery Sterling’s love for the romance genre began in her teen years when she picked up her first novel. She was captivated by the sweeping scale of emotions brought about by the words. The experience catapulted her towards learning the art of wielding a breathtaking adventure, with a love that felt authentic. Wanting to inspire people with her own thoughts and words, she finished her first novel at sixteen. It was a step towards understanding the essence of what she wished to create. 

Most of her youth was spent traveling, searching out the romance and beauty in her everchanging world. From the waves that crashed against the rocky shores of Downeast, Maine, to the warm breezes of the Caribbean, she discovered that love was universal, apparent in its grandest and simplest of forms. Her goal is to write novels an audience can relate to, one that conveys the truth and nature of love…with all the steamy romance. 

Website: http://www.avery-sterling.com  

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/averysterling17  

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/avery.sterling.125?eav=AfaEN0SdTOOmVInfsysAoPRLYUanLZ1olr4QWTIjYzwm85tfJ7Ij6rQhS1Qf5oXnK7k&paipv=0&_rdr   

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/Avery.Sterling17

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/19674760.Avery_Sterling   

Bookbub: https://www.bookbub.com/profile/avery-sterling

 

 


Welcome to My Bookish Pleasures! Can you tell us how you got started writing fiction?

I was heavily into historical romances when I was a teenager. I admired authors for the stories they told, and their ability to wield so much emotion. When I was about sixteen, I was having coffee with my dad, and telling him about my latest read. I was a little disappointed at how the story was unfolding. My dad—who probably wasn’t a big romance novel buff—listened, then asked me how I’d change it. I told him what I thought should happen, and he nodded. He said that it sounded like a good idea, then he continued sipping his coffee. That was when it struck me—I wanted to write my own book! It was at that moment, I realized I had a true passion for something. He agreed, and even added that I could get published, one day. At sixteen, I held little interest in publishing anything. I just wanted to tell a story. But I never forgot that conversation. 

Describe your writing process. Do you plot or write by the seat of your pants? When and where do you write?

I often write in my den because it’s lined with windows, which allows me to daydream. Admittedly, I have no plan when I begin writing. The process starts with a flash, or a spark. It might be one scene, some sort of action, an image of the characters, etc. Most importantly, I want to translate the emotion that was created in me. I weave the rest of the story using those initial sparks. When I finish my first draft, I wait a few days before I look at it again. I need fresh eyes when the hard work begins. Now, having the shell of my story, I start creating a solid foundation for it to stand on. During my revisions, I peel back the layers of all the characters and their backstories. I start asking all the questions. Why did they do that? Why would they say that? How are they acting/reacting? What drives them? etc. The characters start to come alive. I can connect with them on a deeper level, and get a better understanding of the world in which they dwell. When the story starts to align with the emotions initially inspired, I know I’m getting closer to completing my characters’ journey.   

Can you tell us about your most recent release?

My most recent release, Precious Burdens, was one of the first stories I had ever written. It’s special to me because over the years, it's grown and transformed more than any other. What started as a fun, fiery love story, became something much deeper. Nye and Sarafina have more than just a passionate connection, they’re two souls aching for one another. Many obstacles threaten their love, and so many fears… questions of redemption and worthiness.

How did you get the idea for the book?

U2’s With or Without You was playing on the radio, and a flash of both characters came to me. I saw the hero standing by the railing of his ship, watching the heroine in a long boat. She was leaving him, and for whatever reason, he couldn’t ask her to stay. As the distance grew between them, they watched each other, their longing was painfully clear. Without a thought of her own safety, the heroine plunged into the water and tried swimming back. When he saw her jump in the ocean, he smiled, and jumped in after her. It raised so many questions within me. I was captivated by these two characters. The more I listened to the song, the more I saw these two together, in brief flashes. Finally, I put U2’s song on repeat, and began writing.  

Of all your characters, which one is your favorite? Why?

I can’t say I have a favorite character, they’re all unique and dear to me. 

What was the most challenging aspect of writing your book?

The most challenging aspect for Precious Burdens was Nye’s torment and stubbornness. It was difficult to go forth with some of his decisions. It was tempting to tap some keys and “fix” everything—at least for Sarafina’s sake!  

What projects are you currently working on?

I’m currently writing a novel based in Ireland, about a pagan about to be hanged for witchcraft when she’s rescued by the new lord of her ancestral home.

What advice would you offer to new or aspiring fiction authors?

Be inspired, but don’t compare yourself to others, whether by skill or their perceived success. The journey is unique for each writer. You’ll carve out your own path, and you’ll do so in your own way.

 

 

Title: Precious Burdens
Author: Avery Sterling
Publisher: The Wild Rose Press
Pages: 324
Genre: Historical Romance

Sarafina di Ramonicci sets sail for America as the promised bride in an arranged political marriage.       

Taken prisoner at sea, she clashes with her captor and demands freedom, only to discover he is planning her future husband’s demise, with her as a pawn in their deadly feud. The challenge of escape tests her loyalty to family, human decency, and love.  

Captain Nye Tarquin is a dangerous man. Left to die on the streets of New Orleans, he swears retribution on the man responsible. When he makes Sarafina part of his plan, he isn’t prepared for the fiery vixen aboard his ship, nor his desire to claim her as his own. When passion overtakes honor, he’s torn between his heart and his need for justice.  

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Precious-Burdens-Avery-Sterling-ebook/dp/B0C8VHNH3V  

Barnes & Noble: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/precious-burdens-avery-sterling/1143685468?ean=2940160809335




No comments:

Post a Comment