Friday, September 14, 2018

Authors To Watch: Brenda B. Taylor, Author of A Highland Emerald




The desire to write historical fiction has long been a passion with Brenda B. Taylor. Since elementary school, she has written stories in her spare time. Brenda earned three degrees: a BSE from Henderson State University, Arkadelphia, Arkansas; a MEd from Sam Houston State University, Huntsville, Texas; and an EdD from Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas; then worked as a teacher and administrator in the Texas Public School system. Only after retirement could she fulfill the dream of publication.

Brenda and her husband make their home in beautiful East Texas where they enjoy spending time with family and friends, traveling, and working in Bethabara Faith Ministry, Inc. She crafts stories about the extraordinary lives of ordinary people in her favorite place overlooking bird feeders, bird houses, and a variety of blooming trees and flowers. She sincerely thanks all who purchase and read her books. Her desire is that the message in each book will touch the heart of the reader as it did hers in the writing.

Her latest book is the Scottish Historical Romance A Highland Emerald.

Author Contact Information:
Historical Heartbeats
Facebook
Twitter
Amazon Author's Page
BookBub Author Page
Pinterest
Goodreads
Tumblr




Aine MacLean is forced into an arranged marriage with Sir William, Chief of Clan Munro, yet her heart belongs to a handsome young warrior in her father’s guard. She must leave Durant Castle, the
home of her birth on the Isle of Mull, and travel across Scotland in a perilous journey to her husband’s home on Cromarty Firth. William agrees to a year and day of handfasting, giving Aine an opportunity to accept him and his clan. He promises her the protection of Clan Munro, however, Aine experiences kidnapping, pirates, and almost loses her life in the River Moriston. She doubts the sincerity of William’s promises and decides to return to Durant Castle when the handfasting ends. William determines to win Aine’s heart. Will the brave knight triumph in his fight for the bonnie lass?

A Highland Emerald is the third book in the award-winning Highland Treasures series. The novel tells the story of Aine MacLean and William Munro and is the prequel to A Highland Pearl.

ORDER YOUR COPY:

Amazon | Barnes & Noble




We welcome you to My Bookish Pleasures! Can you tell us how you got started writing fiction?

I enjoyed studying history and earned a teaching field in the subject. Also, as a young girl, I made up all kinds of stories. Some I wrote on paper, and some I crafted only in my imagination. Not until I retired from the Texas Public Schools did I have time to actually study the art of historical fiction writing and create a complete story. 

Describe your writing process. Do you plot or write by the seat of your pants? When and where do you write?

I have a comfortable chair with a lap desk and computer desk beside a window overlooking bird feeders, blooming trees, and plants. All of my writing is done sitting in the window chair.

Can you tell us about your most recent release?

My most recent release is a novella in the Highland Treasures series entitled, A Highland Bride. The new novella is in the same series as A Highland Emerald and the characters are members of the same family.

How did you get the idea for the book?

Through genealogical research, I found a Scots ancestor who immigrated from Scotland in the early 1800’s. I traced my roots back to the Scottish Highlands and decided to write a novel with the beautiful Highlands as the setting. Also, after visiting Scotland and learning about Scottish history, I chose the fascinating 16th century as the time frame for the series.

Of all your characters, which one is your favorite? Why?

Of all the characters I’ve written about, Aine MacLean in A Highland Emerald is my favorite. At the beginning of the novel, Aine is a pampered younger daughter of the powerful MacLean chief. Her father arranges a marriage with William, Chief of Clan Munro. Aine must leave her home on the Isle of Mull and travel across Scotland with William to the Munro clan lands on the Cromarty Firth. The journey to her new home is perilous, but Aine comes to love and appreciate her husband. She grows throughout the story into a responsible wife and mother.

What was the most challenging aspect of writing your book?

The most challenging aspect of writing A Highland Emerald was writing in first person voice. The novel is written entirely from Aine’s point of view. Using first person was a growing experience in my writing. I had to climb inside of Aine’s mind and actually become her character, experiencing her emotions, traumas, joys and heartaches. I enjoyed the task and hope to write another using first person voice in the near future.

What projects are you currently working on?

I recently finished the novella, A Highland Bride, the fourth book in the Highland Treasures series. Now I plan to write a novel or novella in the Wades of Crawford County series. The Wades series is set in post-Civil War Missouri. Hopefully, I can begin the basic outlining and plotting in the fall.

What advice would you offer to new or aspiring fiction authors?

To new or aspiring fiction authors I will say, “Jump in there and get started. Put that first word on paper. You will never write a novel if you don’t begin.”
The above sounds easy, but really is very hard or rather getting those first thoughts down was difficult for me. I was unsure of myself and my writing. I did study the art of fiction writing first, then began plotting and researching. A friend who began her novel inspired me to begin mine. She prompted me to get started instead of merely talking about it. I’m thankful for friends and encouragers who helped and are still helping me along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment