Tuesday, July 18, 2023

đŸ“–Authors To Watch: Amy W. Vogel Author of COME TO ME: A DEVOTIONAL FOR HEALING FROM HURT #authorstowatch #interview

 

 


Amy W. Vogel is an accomplished author, speaker, podcaster, and ministry consultant. She loves learning and sharing her knowledge through stories in her inspirational projects and fiction novels.

Amy creates, leads, and speaks to large and small groups and churches to help people understand their inherent worth and goodness by giving them a vision of hope for everyone, everywhere. She is married to David, has three daughters, and lives in Houston, TX.

Website: https://amywvogel.my.conva.site/

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/amywvogel

Facebook: www.facebook.com/amywvogel




Welcome to My Bookish Pleasures. We would love to get to know you and your book! When did you begin writing?

I began writing Come to Me: A Devotional for Healing from Hurt in October of 2022 after about two months recovering from depression and massive burnout following the loss of my role as pastor, my church, and a family crisis. I started writing it to facilitate my own healing journey but I knew when I started that if I wanted to heal from hurt, other people would too!

Describe your writing process. When and where do you write?

I usually write in the mornings, with a rare evening burst. I am a morning person so I have the most creative energy then. Like I said, there are those rare evenings though! I have a couple of different “offices” spaces in my house. Currently, I’m at my dining room table but we have a room above the garage which houses my official space.

How did you get the idea for the book?

I have always loved the passage in Matthew 11 that is the central theme of the book – and the only passage I explore. As I was coming out of a very dark place, I felt the urge to start investigating this verse. I would just sit with it, think about it and eventually that formed thoughts in my heart and mind I wanted to express. This is my second devotional that I’ve published (I’ve written several others over the years as well) and the format for each day came from my experience in healing ministry and spiritual growth. I wanted to make the journey tangible and for people to be able to engage for themselves – to have their own experience.

What was the most challenging aspect of writing your book?

Self-publishing was a pretty big learning curve. The writing itself flowed. Editing is always a challenge to go back and do but learning the business – the ins and outs – of self-publishing has been a big task.

Do you find it easier to write nonfiction?

I do because I have more experience. Nonfiction for me is like eating a snack. It is a smaller output that is gratifying but not that taxing. I am writing fiction as well and when I sit down to do that, it feels like the feasting process. Lots of intake and then lots of time to digest!

Do you have plans to write fiction?

Yes! I am releasing a novel called Teleosis. It is religious fantasy fiction that explores big subjects like mental health, the harm of religious systems and the unique power of women to be conduits for healing in the world. That comes out in early 2024.

What projects are you currently working on?

I’m in the editing process for my fiction release and also planning a series about retellings of “villain” type women in the Bible. I also know what my next nonfiction devotional will be about and looking to start that in late 2024 or 2025. I’m always busy!

What advice would you offer to new or aspiring nonfiction authors?

Write what you know! Also, write it! The books I’ve published are the ones I’ve finished, so just keep working at it. Those places inside of you that say “You can’t,” are the places that actually really want you to be successful. If we look at the fears and shame that drive those voices, we often find the sources that can fuel our creativity. The darkness is actually a blank slate rather than a pit we fear to fall into.

Thanks for this opportunity!

 

 


Title: Come to Me: A Devotional for Healing From Hurt
Author: Amy W. Vogel
Publisher: AW Vogel Publishing
Pages: 123
Genre: Nonfiction/Christian Inspirational/Spiritual Growth

From the author of Third Person: 30 Days with the Holy Spirit comes a unique devotional experience. Come to Me stands out with messages from one particular passage, Matthew 11:28-30.

It is an invitation by Jesus to those who are hurting, with a promise to bring hope, soul-level rest, and a new vision of wholeness to those experiencing the wounds of life.

Jesus meets us right where we are, and through this collection of personal reflections, time-tested spiritual practices, and new ways to imagine God working, you can find the healing from the hurt you long for.

Amazon: https://a.co/d/69jzFNZ


 

No comments:

Post a Comment