Tuesday, May 10, 2022

đŸ“–Authors To Watch: Damone Bester Author of Mendel #authorstowatch #interview

 


Damone Bester was born and raised on Chicago’s Southside to blue-collar parents who were married 49 years, and one older brother, whose backyard scuffles taught Damone one lesson: “Never quit.” He wasn’t just a student at Mendel; he lived and breathed “Blue Smoke,” the mantra of his track team brethren. A brief conversation with another Mendel alum stoked the fire to pen his first novel about the school he so loved.

Damone is an author, poet, aspiring screenwriter, and voiceover artist. He has a bachelor’s degree in Psychology from Illinois State University and has spent most of his profession in the Social Services sector. He currently lives in the Twin Cities area and enjoys fishing, bowling, basketball (watching, not playing), bean bags, and bragging about his nephew and nieces.

You can visit his website at www.DamoneBester.com or connect with him on TwitterFacebook and LinkedIn.



Imagine the mid 1980’s, last day of school, summer break. A teen rushes to meet his mother, who is being released from the hospital after cancer surgery. When the teen arrives, he finds out his mother is dead, but his ex-gangbanging dad, who has been in jail the last seven years, is at the hospital ready to take the teen home.

Mendel, is a coming-of-age story about a senior at Chicago’s legendary Mendel High who must learn how to forgive as he navigates life without his mother. Things come to a head when the teen accidentally finds his mom’s diary. In the journal, he discovers his mother’s dreams of becoming a collegiate track star were derailed due to getting pregnant with him. To honor his mother, he joins Mendel’s track team and excels, but before he can cash in on any scholarship offers, his father’s thuggish past catches up with them when a gun toting nemesis comes seeking revenge. The teen must decide between saving his own life or sacrificing it all to save his estranged father.

Book Information

Release Date: April 26, 2022

Publisher:  The Story Plant

Soft Cover: ISBN: 978-1611883268; 288 pages; $16.95; E-Book, $7.99

Amazon: https://amzn.to/37qfkCC

Barnes & Noble: https://bit.ly/3NYZ0cS

Indigo: https://bit.ly/37qF69y

Indiebound: https://www.indiebound.org/book/9781611883268

Book Depository: https://www.bookdepository.com/Mendel-Damone-Bester/9781611883268







We welcome you to My Bookish Pleasures! Can you tell us how you got started writing fiction?

Thank you so much for having me. The question brings a smile to my face. One can get lost in fiction and never want to come out. Ever read a book or see a movie that you didn’t want to end? That’s what fiction does to me. I want to create storylines that people never want to leave. I want to create that place of escape from the often-cruel world we live in.

Describe your writing process. Do you plot or write by the seat of your pants? When and where do you write?

Usually I “see” several scenes first. Two people having an argument. A fight scene or chase scene. I accumulate these to reference later. Sometimes, I might not even use them, but it's just the process of getting it out of my head onto the page. When I have enough interesting “scenes” I come up with the ending, then the beginning. Next, I think about characters, locations, settings, genres. If ideas come at any point in here, I write them down. Again, just accumulating what I can. Then comes the research. I research and find as much as I can on my own first. Then, I make a list of the people I need to interview. I do my own research first because it helps me find appropriate questions. If I interview the “expert” first, there may be a question out there that I don’t even know to ask. But, if I research it first, it helps me formulate more questions to eventually get “from the horse’s mouth.” I’ve found that “experts” in their fields are willing to discuss more in depth about a topic when they see I’ve already done my own heavy lifting. They take me more seriously because they know I’m willing to work and they are not just supplying me all the answers. I try to get all of my interviews done, then I outline. I try to outline all the plot points, twists, and turns. Then, I outline the actual story. After that, I might take a little time away from it. When I return, I usually have more ideas, or I can see clearer what works or what doesn’t work. Then I start writing it out. Nope, no special place where I write. I never wanted that to handicap me. I want my brain to feel as though “we” can write anywhere, anytime of day, with any utensil. I’d write my ideas down with a crayon, if that’s all I had available. I don’t need a special hat, or pen, or mug. And, I don’t believe in writer’s block either. If I stumble or have trouble with something, it’s because I need a break. Not that I have some sort of mental block.

Can you tell us about your most recent release?

Sure, I can. This is it! Mendel is my very first published book. I’m on a roll now.

How did you get the idea for the book?

I love track and field. And, I love movies. The inspiration for Mendel came about after one of my best friends from high school and I were reminiscing over our “glory days” running track together. We discussed how there were so many movies and books about baseball, football, basketball, even hockey, but there weren’t any that we could think of about track. One of the most popular sports on the highest stage of the Olympics was track and field and we couldn’t readily name one movie or book about it. The closest we could think of was the awesome film, Cool Runnings that had a sliver of track scenes. So, from that conversation, the idea of Mendel came about in the year of 2009.

Of all your characters, which one is your favorite? Why?

My main character’s father, Brandon James Sr. (Keko) is my favorite. Keko is my favorite because he tries so hard to make amends for all the horrible rotten things he’s done in his life. He wants to be a good father, but his past keeps coming back to bite him, yet he doesn’t give up in pursuing a relationship with his son (the main character).

What was the most challenging aspect of writing your book?

The most fun yet most challenging parts of the book to write were the action sequences during the track meets. It was exciting to come up with different ways to describe teenaged boys running around an oval. I had to dig deep into that creative well to build excitement and drag out suspense, all the while making sure that the reader who is not the track aficionado could keep pace through all the track terminology. It was a blast.  

What projects are you currently working on?

I am currently under contract to write a sequel to Mendel. I also recently finished recording Mendel the audiobook, which will be coming out soon.

What advice would you offer to new or aspiring fiction authors?

Dream bigger! If your own idea doesn’t knock your socks off, other people’s socks will stay on too. After you get that BIG idea. Get a mentor who isn’t afraid to tear you down and isn’t too prideful to build you up.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment