Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Authors To Watch: Lustily Ever After by Stephanie Bentley #AuthorsToWatch





Stephanie Bentley is the creator and composer of Lustily Ever After: The Audiobook Musical, a funny, sexy love story inspired by romantic fiction and ’90s pop music. Stephanie is a musical theater/musical improv comedy performer and audiobook narrator with experience acting in television and film. She studied improv at Upright Citizens Brigade and has performed all over Los Angeles and New York.

Stephanie and her cast are available for live performances of pieces from the book.

Listen to a sample of the audiobook here: https://www.lustilyeverafter.com.



Combining a titillating collection of romance tropes, LUSTILY EVER AFTER: THE AUDIOBOOK MUSICAL, created and composed by Stephanie Bentley, and performed by a multitalented musical cast from the Groundlings and Upright Citizens Brigade, makes a surprising and innovative
contribution to the audiobook listening experience. With 20 original songs inspired by ’90s pop music and a spicy story penned by erotica ghostwriter Miranda Ray at its core, the musical parody pushes the limits of sexual innuendo right to the edge before tipping over into the throws of uproarious ridiculousness.

When sassy Raleigh Jackson interviews for a six-week contract to be the fake girlfriend of Trystan Lay—schmillioniare playboy, politician, ex-Navy Seal, songwriter/astronaut, and “the world’s most perfect human”—she knows the outcome will change her life.

A student/waitress/intern living with her obligatory best friend, Kim, Raleigh overcomes her medical condition—chronic clumsiness—and snags the job, thus beginning a whirlwind of extravagant travel and glitzy events.

LUSTILY EVER AFTER: THE AUDIOBOOK MUSICAL covers the span of romance novel clichés from the brooding playboy to the fake romance with sprinkles of paranormal love. The story is sultry, silly, snarky—and hilarious. Chapter titles are sung in harmonies invoking the R&B group En Vogue. The characters voice their own dialogue and routinely burst into song, as they fumble through pillow talk, and relive steamy memories in songs such as “Talkin’ Dirty” and “50 Shades of Lay.”

The creator’s inspiration for LUSTILY EVER AFTER: THE AUDIOBOOK MUSICAL came from her unusual day job. “I’m a romance audiobook narrator by day and a musical theater performer by night. Every day in the booth, I giggle at the same tropes coming up again and again. Then these song lyrics just started coming to me, “The models in my bed don’t keep me warm at night,” for example. I started writing and pretty soon, the whole musical just came tumbling out!”

LUSTILY EVER AFTER: THE AUDIOBOOK MUSICAL has an e-book companion containing the story and all of the lyrics, and there may be plans for a sequel: “I thought we had hit most of the tropes, but now I realize we may have only just begun,” Stephanie says.

Book Info:
Audiobook, $6.95; 2 hours 37 minutes; ISBN: 978-1089023753
E-book, $2.99; 104 pages
Publication date: August 2019
Published by Stephanie Bentley

Order Your Copy below

Amazon → https://amzn.to/2VA47Fw




We welcome you to My Bookish Pleasures! Can you tell us how you got started writing fiction?

Thank you so much for having me! So, this might be a little different since I’m a musical writer, but after performing and singing my whole life I studied improv and musical improv at the Upright Citizens Brigade theater, and that is really what changed me from just a performer into a writer. I was on stage all the time making up entire musicals with just a suggestion from the audience, my teammates and a piano player, and I would often leave a show having made up several songs that I was still singing days later. I started to realize that maybe my lifelong dream of writing a musical didn’t have to be so out of reach if I just started with making up little choruses here and there, or lyrics that made me laugh. So, I wrote my first musical in 2017 which was a two-woman staged production, broke through that fear of actually doing it, and now here we are with my second musical featuring 20 original songs and available for a much larger audience than the 100 seats of the theater where we performed.
Describe your writing process. Do you plot or write by the seat of your pants? When and where do you write?
Since I have two ridiculously adorable and noisy kids, I have to write on the fly, during lunch time, nap time, stroller time, while driving in the car. I have several early versions of ‘Talkin Dirty’, one of the songs in the book, recorded on my phone set to the background noise of splashing and yelling as my kids battled each other for some toy in the bathtub. The cool thing about writing a musical for me though, is that when I’m in the middle of writing a song, it feels like being in love. I’m daydreaming about it and humming it all the time, jotting down little love notes to it here and there. There has never been any real ‘time’ to write any of this book, but somehow, when I’m in love there is always enough energy and stolen moments to keep the story moving forward. 
Can you tell us about your most recent release?
Lustily Ever After: The Audiobook Musical is the first audiobook musical for adults, and I am so honored and excited to share it with your audience! I had the great fortune of partnering with erotica ghostwriter Miranda Ray, who penned the book around the 20 original songs that I wrote. 
Lustily Ever After: The Audiobook Musical is a musical parody of romance novels with music inspired by 90’s pop music. It features comedians from The Groundlings and Upright Citizens Brigade theater voicing their own dialogue and frequently bursting into comedic songs about their hilarious and exaggerated storybook lives. 
How did you get the idea for the book?
The inspiration for this whole project came from my day-job, as an audiobook narrator reading mostly romance titles 5 days a week. I know that by romance reader standards, 5-7 books a month isn’t that unusual but for a novice like me that was a huge amount of romance to act as my introduction to the genre! I had only ever read 50 Shades of Grey on my honeymoon like a real pedestrian.  So, suddenly I was knee-deep in romance novels from every kind of sub-genre and I kept seeing the same tropes and stereotypes coming up again and again, making me giggle (or groan!) I quickly became a big fan of romance in general and could write a whole paper on why I believe it’s so popular, but I’m also an improv comedy performer at heart, so these lyrics started coming to me, ‘The models in my bed don’t keep me warm at night…’ for example. I started writing them down, gathering more and more funny lyrics to add to my characters every time I went to work, and the whole musical kept writing itself from there.

Of all your characters, which one is your favorite? Why?
The book features 3 main characters:
Raleigh Jackson, the classic good girl student /intern with a full schedule of volunteer work and a desire to find out who she really is. “I was diagnosed with a medical condition: clumsiness.”
Kim (no last name), the forgettable but supportive obligatory best friend who has no discernable features and who’s driver’s license is just a library card. “Sisters before shifters!”
Trystan Lay, bad boy schmillioniare, astronaut / politician who according to NASA is ‘the world’s most perfect human’. He’s definitely my favorite because he gets to say and do the most hilarious things and it's perfectly reasonable in his world. “They want astronauts with ‘je na sais quoi’, which is French for ‘strength’.” - Trystan
What was the most challenging aspect of writing your book?
The most challenging aspect was most certainly finding the time to do it at all! Coordinating the collaboration with the writer and music arranger, and the performers. I hope that listeners enjoy the book because it’s funny, but I also hope that a mom who wrote this thing with two kids under the age of 4 and a job helps to inspire other writers and creators out there that they can do the same thing! For me it’s all about finding that inspiration and then just following one single lily pad at a time across that pond without looking up! Head down, keep hopping, baby. 
What projects are you currently working on?
Currently, getting the word out about Lustily Ever After: The Audiobook Musical is truly all I have time for despite my Ted Talk answer above, but I know that the next inspiration won’t be far behind! Creating for me is a calling, a divine appointment, in whatever form it happens to be. I’m sure I’ll be onto my next hare-brained scheme in no time. 
What advice would you offer to new or aspiring fiction authors?
Follow the inspiration! Hop on those lily pads, just one single one at a time, don’t look up and don’t worry about the next stage and all the million reasons why it won’t work. Usually, once the next stage arrives, things have a way of working themselves out. And, always remember to stay in love with the story. If it’s not the right time, I don’t force it, I just wait for the words to come to me and I do my best to be ready with my voice memo app when they do. You can do it! I did!



1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete